Personal loans, or ‘unsecured loans’ involve taking a loan or borrowing without any upfront collateral. They usually involve less paperwork compared to secured loans like mortgages but the period of loan is shorter and loan amounts smaller. Because there is no collateral put up or any repossession on default of loan payment, personal loans pose considerable risks for lenders due to the risks involved. Hence, the rates may sometimes be higher.
For people with bad credit ratings or scores, it can be quite difficult to obtain a personal loan and the interest rates can be high; however some lenders do arrange a deal if the loan applier has a co-signer to stand guarantee.
These loans can be utilized for almost any purpose from college tuition fees, settling medical bills or to take a vacation. Basically, it provides access to funds for an immediate need. Some of the other uses of a personal loan can be:
• To buy a vehicle,
• For wedding expenses,
• For home refurbishment or improvement,
• To make a down payment on property purchase,
• To meet business expenses, and so on.
Advantages of a personal loan
There are many advantages a personal loan can provide.
• These loans are available to those with good credit scores at low interest rates.
• They offer fixed repayment periods and interest rates
• Consolidating high interest rate credit card payments with low-interest rate personal loans can help save a lot of money. Unlike credit cards, fixed rate loans do not have a ‘default’ clause and penalty payment.
• It is a faster and easier process and can be done even online; the availability of funds can be done in just a few days’ time.